(402) 451-4488

Fierce, Agile & Fully Dedicated To Our Clients

Who Will Have Custody If A Parent Moves?

It is a common problem in a shaky economy, or when the custodial parent wants to get away from the other parent, for whatever reason.

If your custody orders were handed down from a Nebraska court, you must seek court approval before moving out of state. The child custody advocates at Reisinger Booth & Associates have extensive experience in complex custody matters, having taken difficult relocation cases all the way to the Nebraska Supreme Court.

Courts Make The Final Call

A parent seeking to relocate with a minor child must first demonstrate to the court that there is a legitimate reason for moving away. If the court agrees that the reason is legitimate, it then must decide whether removal is in the best interests of the child. In doing so, it must:

  • Weigh both parents’ motives for seeking or opposing the move
  • Evaluate whether the move will enhance the child’s quality of life
  • Assess the impact the move will have on future visitation with the parent left behind

When the noncustodial parent wishes to be granted sole custody of a child and at the same time move the child outside the jurisdiction, the court will assess whether the change is in the child’s best interests. It is then up to the court to decide whether removal is justified.

Do Not Wait. Reach Out Before A Parent Relocates.

Call the family law attorneys at Reisinger Booth & Associates, in Omaha, Nebraska, at 402-983-8213, or use this online form to ask our lawyers your questions.

Se habla español.

Tell us about your legal issue

Fields marked with an * are required.

    My location
    1. Search for location
    2. My location

    7602 Pacific Street, Suite 222

    Omaha, NE 68114

    Phone: 402-451-4488

    Fax: 402-457-6309


    Copyright © 2023 Reisinger Booth & Associates, P.C., L.L.O., All Rights Reserved

    Disclaimer   •   Site Map   •   Privacy Policy   •   Admin